Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Life Drawing and Fashion Illustration






































Going to classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology was liberating. Two evenings a week I sketched frantically in a fashion illustration class. The longest pose was 20 minutes but these were rare. The models posed mostly for 3, 5 and 7 minutes. I had to throw out the rule book, well a lot of it, for life drawing and adapt to fashion illustration rules. As it turns out, working so fast for fashion will help me with my fast poses in classical life drawing and the classical life drawing certainly influenced my pursuit of expression in fashion illustration. In the end, I realized that one feeds off the other. Both great disciplines to have and I have a passion for both. The class consisted of fashion design students, professional fashion designers and others with a love for fashion illustration like myself. Having written my degree thesis on the subject years ago, it was wonderful to be in the company and under the influence of a tutor who worked at Women's Wear Daily in the late 60's, early 70's.
Pin It Now!