Saturday, August 4, 2012

Valerie Green Dance Entropy

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be invited to sketch a company of dancers during rehearsals at Valerie Green Dance Entropy. The not-for-profit modern dance company will be appearing at Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival on August 9th, 2012. They will be performing 'Thread', in which three women tangle, unravel, and knot together in fluid motions; 'Kin', a joyful, action packet duet; and 'Rip Tide', a work for six dancers that evokes the violence and beauty of the ocean. I felt very lucky as I sat in a corner watching and sketching these incredibly talented and fit dancers. Drawing one minute poses at life drawing sessions now seems like a very long time. The dancers were not in a pose for more than a few seconds! I eventually got the hang of creating very fast gestures based on the dancers and what I know of balance and proportion of the human figure. A few of the sketches are of the dancers during their break. A big thank you to Valerie Green who visited me during Open Studios in May and was kind enough to invite me to her dance studios. For more information on the incredibly talented and accomplished Valerie and her company please visit: www.danceentropy.org




Pin It Now!